Friday, May 31, 2013

Forgive Me For Being So Honest

IMG_4322

We have officially begun the Summer. DS is now out of school. I am very proud of his accomplishments this year, he has worked hard. I say that with all sincerity because I don’t want what I say next to undermine that statement.

I have loved every year that I have had the blessing of raising my son and with each new year I would announce that it was the best yet. This trend, however, came to an abrupt halt when DS turned 11. Since then I have liked each year less than the last!  What is it with teenage boys?

I used to listen to all the comments about raising teenagers and see all the upturned looks and I guess I dismissed them as jokes. Boy did I have a surprise.

It is not easy being a teenager. I look back on my teen years with great remorse. It was a very difficult time for me. That period in between adulthood and childhood when we are pushing away from the supervision of the adults but not yet ready to go it alone.

This summer started off with some very tough boundaries and left  DS asking what happened to me. I am usually the passive and dismissive parent in the household but after only three days at home with DS it became very clear to me that I was not going to survive and neither would he.  So no more MR. Nice Guy! 

This mornings devotional made it very clear, ‘ Obey your leaders, and submit to them; for they keep watch over your souls, as those who will give an account.  Let them do this with joy and not with grief, for this would be unprofitable for you’ Hebrews 13:17

We are to keep watch over our children’s souls. If we want them to walk in righteous we need to teach clear boundaries and consequences. This way they keep clean consciences and have peace before God.  So, dear Lord, forgive me for being passive and dismissive and let me lead my DS with joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment